Sopapilla Bars, Baby

I live in Ohio.  I've never lived anywhere else, so I don't know any better than to enjoy all the four seasons.  And by that I mean all four seasons within the week.  40 degrees today, 70 degrees tomorrow.  I'll send my kid to school in a winter coat with a sleeveless shirt underneath.

Basically what I'm saying is that even though there are weather extremes, I've never wished to be in a warm weather climate all the time.  However, (that's a strong "however") the only time I curse Ohio is when I want a Sopapilla!  Seriously.  I've road tripped it to New Mexico and I've enjoyed an authentic Sopapilla.  They are amazing hot pastry puffs tossed in cinnamon sugar, and then you pull them apart and drizzle honey into the steamy puff pocket.  Heaven.  Simple, but Heaven none-the-less.

Yummy, authentic Sopapilla.  Come hither.

Apparently not a single Mexican restaurant around these parts is familiar with the authentic Sopapilla.  Because if you order them around here you will be served a fried flour tortilla drizzled with honey.  Tough, flat little triangles that make you cry inside if you've had the real thing.

I see you, tortilla chip disguised as a Sopapilla!  I'm on to you!

I put my daydreams of Sopapillas aside and go on with my life, but last week Shelly from Cookies and Cups (She's one of my favorites!) posted Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars.  Yum!  So...not an authentic Sopapilla, (kind of a combo between a Mexican Xango and Sopapilla) but hey, they sounded delicious and they have simple ingredients.  I'm there!  Authentic or not, I will never turn my nose up to cinnamon, sugar, and pastry!



Sopapilla Bars
adapted from Cookies and Cups

-2 cans Crescent Rolls
-2, 8 oz. packages Cream Cheese, softened
-1/2 cup honey, plus more for drizzling
-1 tsp. vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
-2 sticks salted butter, melted
-3/4 c. sugar, divided
-2 tsp. cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling

Preheat oven 350 degrees.  Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper, coat with non-stick cooking spray.

Unroll one can of Crescent Rolls and stretch out dough in the bottom of your prepared pan.  Pinch any open seams shut.  Pour about 1/2 the melted butter over top, approx. 1 stick.  Sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar and desired amount of cinnamon over the top of butter/pastry.

In a bowl, whip the cream cheese using a hand mixer.  Add your honey and vanilla.  Whip until well blended and creamy.  Evenly pour cream cheese mix over the top of your buttered pastry.  Use an offset spatula to spread evenly if needed.

Open and unroll remaining can of Crescent Rolls.  Place over the top of cream cheese and stretch out dough over the size of the pan.  Pinch any open seams shut.  Pour remaining butter over top.  In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar with 2 tsp. cinnamon.  Sprinkle evenly over the top of buttered pastry.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until top is golden brown and bubbly.  Cool completely or till just warm to the touch.  Cut as desired and drizzle with honey.  These are sweet, sweet, sweet!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment