Fruit Intentions and Blueberry Lemon Bars



Fruit Intentions.  Somewhat like good intentions, but with fruit.  You see, I have a problem.  Okay, maybe it's not like a real problem, but I can't seem to curb my fruit buying issue.  This wouldn't ordinarily seem like a problem, but when I buy fruit it seems like it gets purchased only to meet an untimely demise in my trash can.

I looooove fruit, I just don't looooove the work associated with it.  Yes, work.  I generally opt for bananas.  Simple.  You peel.  No washing, de-stemming, drying.  And right about now you could say I'm a bit lazy, and I probably wouldn't disagree.  I try to overcome this laziness practically every grocery store visit by purchasing grapes, blueberries, or strawberries with the intentions of "doing good" with them.  I'm motivated seeing them in my cart, until it gets home and is tossed in the fridge where it's long forgotten about or to be honest, ignored.  Ignored until it's a moldy, prune-like mess.

Oh the guilt!  Guilt for wasting the money.  Guilt for letting beautiful fruit go un-enjoyed.  But not today!  All I needed was some inspiration to make use of the blueberries sitting in my produce drawer.

If you're like me, and needing some fruit inspiration, this is a beautiful (and tasty) home for your fruit.  You'll pour those berries into a light and creamy batter, that has just a slight touch of lemon.  You could use raspberries or blackberries too, if those happen to be lingering in your fridge.  Or maybe you're nothing like me and perhaps even giving me the side-eye for being so strange.  It happens.



Blueberry Lemon Bars
inspired by Sugar Plum                    

Crust:
-1 package Sugar Cookie Mix
-1 stick unsalted butter, softened
-1 egg
-1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 9x13 pan with foil, leaving edges hanging over.  Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.

2. Mix the crust ingredients together until combined and a dough ball forms.  Press dough evenly into the bottom of foil lined pan.  Lightly moisten your hands with water to press dough to prevent sticking.  Bake for 15 minutes.

Filling:
-12 oz. cream cheese, softened
-3/4 c. granulated sugar
-1 tsp. lemon zest
-3 Tbsp. lemon juice, approx. juice of 1 large lemon
-1 tsp. almond extract
-1/8 tsp. cinnamon
-2 large eggs
-1 pint of blueberries

1.  Cream together cream cheese and sugar.  Whip until smooth.  Add lemon zest, lemon juice, and almond extract, and cinnamon.  Mix until combined.  Add eggs, and blend into batter.  Gently fold in blueberries.

2.  Pour filling over sugar cookie crust.  Bake 20 minutes.

Topping:
-1 c. brown sugar, packed
-1 c. vanilla wafer, large crumb/chunk
-3/4 c. flour
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1/4 tsp. cinnamon
-dash nutmeg
-6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes

1.  Stir together all the dry ingredients.  Add the butter and work it into the dry mix with your fingers, a fork, or a pastry blender.  I used fingers-they work!

2.  Sprinkle topping over cooked filling.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.

3.  Let bars cool at room temp until pan is cool enough to handle easily with hands, about 1-2 hours.  Cover with foil and place in the fridge until completely cool, 2-3 hours.  Pull bars out of pan using foil edges and cut as desired.  Store in fridge until ready to serve.  Enjoy!

We keep it simple.  Like my fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment