And Now, A Favorite



Childhood memories.  Unlike this lovely photo, most of all my good ones do not revolve around food.  See exhibit A.  Now, don't go crying for me, clearly I turned out all right.  I swear.

However, there are always exceptions.  Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are that exception.  But first, a little information:

My mom was a very busy lady, in fact, she still is, and so I certainly don't hold it against her for lack of home-cooked meals growing up.  In our line of work we find that most families can't/don't find the time to cook homemade meals.  I don't judge, and like I've said in the past, I bake.  It is rare that I cook.  And I bake because I enjoy it and it actually relieves stress...for me.  I know it can cause stress in others, however, this recipe won't.  Maybe that is why it worked perfectly for my mom, but no matter, this recipe is ingenious either way.

For a long time, these Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are what I would request for my birthday.  I always felt proud to take them to school because they were different and special.  Just like me! Ha!

This year for my son's fourth birthday, while some might expect I would have made something "fancy", I went with this family classic.  My favorite food memory as a child.  Thanks mom!



Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

What You Will Need
-Your choice of box cake mix, I used Rainbow Chip
-24 cake ice cream cones
-Frosting of choice, I went with one of my favorites (thanks Best Bites)

1.  Make your cake batter as instructed on the box.

2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place cones in each cupcake pan well.  To ensure better stabilization of cones, make sure to smooth off any rough edges on the base of the cone.

3.  Fill cones half full; don't go above where the cone begins to widen.  I use an ice cream scoop to get the batter in the cones.  If you overfill, your cupcake batter will overflow.  But worse things have happened!

4.  Using a steady hand, place the cones in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.  A toothpick should come out clean and the cake should spring lightly to the touch.

5.  Let your cupcakes cool before frosting.  If you don't want to make your own frosting, pick your favorite canned kind, mine is Rainbow Chip.  Yum!  For this occasion I made Our Best Bites white frosting.  It is unique in that it uses flour.  The texture of the finished frosting is smooth and light.  Almost like whipped cream, but richer.  I love it.  If you're making frosting, do it while your cupcakes cool.

6.  Top your cupcake cones with frosting.  I used a large round tip because I wanted the look of soft serve ice cream.  Now, you're finished!  Enjoy OR you can continue doing what I did for these particular cupcake cones.

7.  To continue, you will be making a chocolate topping.  Mine comes from Bakers Royale.
-2/3 c. dark chocolate
-2 Tbsp. heavy cream
-4 Tbsp. powdered sugar, sifted
-4-5 Tbsp. warm water

Place chocolate and heavy cream in a bowl.  Place bowl over pot of simmering water and let sit without touching for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir until combined.  Add powdered sugar and stir until smooth.  Add your water a Tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition until you get the pouring consistency you desire.

I placed my pouring chocolate in a small squeeze bottle to get my desired look over the frosting.  You could also slowly pour from a spoon.  Make sure the pouring chocolate isn't too hot, you don't want it to melt the frosting.

I immediately sprinkled with some multi-colored non-pariels.  You could place a red M&M aka "the cherry" on top if you wanted a more original ice cream cone sundae look.

Now watch children destroy these.  Like mine did.

No comments:

Post a Comment