Chocolate Cookies to the Rescue!

Dessert guilt.  I have it.  You see, unlike some of those skinny bloggers, I don't follow up my taste-testing with mile long runs.  It isn't pretty--my running.  I'm pretty sure I flail my arms about like one of those girls being chased in a horror movie.  Oh well.

What to do with this guilt?  I could stop eating sweets, but now that's just silly.  Maybe take a tiny bite?  I'm pretty sure that takes monk-like discipline.  I'm no monk.  Clearly.

OR.  I could just make something with less butter.  OR.  No butter?  Because my logic is that if it doesn't have butter it must be dubbed HEALTHY!

I found inspiration from Joy at Joy the Baker.  And even though I don't know her, I love her.  Her blog always makes me smile.  Not too long ago she made some Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies.  They looked yummy and thick and chocolatey.  And of course, healthier sounding then some of the last few things I've made.

So as dessert guilt was setting in, these cookies came to the rescue.  Bite-size Vegan Double-Chocolate Chip Cookies?  You're my hero!





Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (Vegan)
adapted from Joy the Baker

- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Hershey Special Dark cocoa powder (or regular)
- 1 Tbsp. espresso powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup organic sugar (vegan certified)
- 2 Tbsp. flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips

Over the bowl of a stand mixer, sift together the first six ingredients (flour-salt).  Whisk together.  In a separate bowl whisk together sugar, flax seed meal, applesauce, oil, and vanilla extract.

Using the paddle attachment, turn the mixer on low and slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.  Add the 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips.  Continue to stir on low until the batter forms a dough ball.

Press ball into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for an hour or so.  Or the amount of time it takes me to clean-up all the dishes and get my son ready for the day.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.  Remove dough from fridge and pinch off amount to make Tablespoon size balls.  Roll into balls and then press down slightly to make small disks.  If chocolate chips fall out of dough, press them gently on to the top of tiny dough disk.

Bake 9 minutes and remove from oven.  Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then cool completely on cooling rack.  They are scrumptious still warm, when the chips are all melty.  Yummy Yum.

You could put a few of them in small cello bags and give as cute little bite-size gifts.  People will love you-if that's what you're going for!





No comments:

Post a Comment